Friday, December 29, 2006

Be an editor Part II

You have probably heard that the cartoonist who does Fox Trot is stopping production of his daily comic -- he'll continue to do Sunday strips.
Anyway, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO PUT IN THERE.
Of course, it's too late for you guys to help me with this particular strip (I wish I would have thought to ask you earlier) because it ends tomorrow.
However, the comics pages are pretty fluid. I can remove and replace strips at will -- IF I'm ready to be pummeled. Because, you see, every strip has its fans -- and even if I think it is lame or has run its course, I get letters of complaint if anything changes on those pages.
So, you comic junkies, are there any strips you read elsewhere, you'd like to see in The Chronicle?
Let me know.

6 comments:

Patti Ewald said...

Not a pleasant experience at all! That is why we hesitate to change running-features in the paper. Every one of them has at least one fan -- who squawks if it is removed. I'm beginning to wonder exactly how much of an audience the comics pages have ... especially after my son this week said, "Who reads the comics?"

Anonymous said...

question #2-- Who plays Bridge?

Patti Ewald said...

I wondered the same thing the last time I altered the bridge column. I shrunk it down because I -- like you -- thought no one reads it because no one plays bridge anymore. I got a complaint call from a reader who told me that he is in a bridge club and they all look forward to the column and can I run it bigger. I remember asking him how many people still play bridge but I FORGET THE ANSWER. (It was more than five, however.)
Any bridge players reading this?

Patti Ewald said...

Check out "Brewster Rockit: Space Guy" and tell me what you think.

Anonymous said...

How about Mutts by Patrick McDonnell?

Patti Ewald said...

We already run Mutts -- even though (please don't think badly of me)I don't like that strip. It is good -- occasionally -- when McDonnell does something touching about shelter animals or the cruelty of keeping an animal tied in the back yard -- but most days, it's just plain dopey. The cat with the lisp saying something dopey about his little pink sock ...